Thursday, August 26, 2010

Created Languages

I had a linguistics tutorial today. My tutor, a PHD student, told me that constructed languages always fail.

Man am I pissed off. Even if it's true, and I REALLY don't believe it is, how could she be SO closed minded? If we all thought like that we never would have crawled out of the ocean! Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be! I'll bet the Wright Brothers (the plane guys) didn't have her attitude.

And has she even heard of CONLANGing?

I was complaining to my Mum, who is incredibly patient at my jabberings of this project, and she asked me why I began this in the first place. Now I'll admit she was right. I began this project as a hobby. However it's more than that now. Of course I want people to speak it. I want to speak it. Nothing would make me happier and prouder than walking down the street and hearing someone speak MY language.

At the moment however I'll settle for people not dismissing this stuff as a waste of time. Even if it's never spoken by anyone I've learned more about language in the last year than I had in the previous 10! It's not a waste of time and I DEFINITELY don't think it's impossible to create a language that can be spoken. It may not be mine, although I really hope it is, but I reckon someday it will work!

Take that tutor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment